A cultural dance can be seen as a language, including a new vocabulary, with its own inflections and conventions. In our last FUN Class session, we looked at dance moves as letters in an alphabet, writing in cursive script as opposed to printing in block letters. This time we look at individual moves as words in sentences.
For many of us, our ability to improvise (to have off-the-cuff conversations with the music), is hampered when we can’t remember our dance vocabulary, and our minds are yelling at us the whole time as our palms get sweaty and we wish the ground would just open up and swallow us. Simply drilling words in rote sentences is not the answer—ou est la plume de ma tante, anyone?
To really speak a language, we must engage in conversation! So this improvisational ease is our focus in…
Conversational Belly Dance
Engaging the music with comfort and confidence!
What we’ll do each week
1. Introduce one or two classic moves (aka words). Combine and recombine them them with other basic moves into small combinations (aka sentences ; ).
These combinations and moves will change every week—however, we will add our previous moves into our rotation, so we will become comfortable with them in many different combinations. In learning science, this is known as creating a constellation—we add new stars every week and mix them around in the context of actual dancing to varied actual music.
2. Facilitate daily practice using TinyHabits.com models. Since conversational language gets better with practice, we will to find time each day to at least listen to music from provided playlists, and at best dance from just one song to to up to 20 minutes a day, incorporating our words of the week into our existing vocabulary however many days a week we choose. We will also help you troubleshoot your workflow to make the act of opening the practice session as simple and seamless as possible.
3. Offer accountability for this practice. We’ll provide daily check-ins via app or text. Let us know you’ve practiced, and we’ll respond! Participants are free to choose accountability buddies from Alia, the class, or outside of it.
4. Provide playlists of suitable practice music. We’ll include a fallback song or two—something you can have ready on your phone to turn on at a moment’s notice to get your daily practice happening.
Conversational Belly dance promises to be a fun way to gain confidence in your ability to dance without having to think of moves, even as you increase your vocabulary and and your ease in connecting words into sentences on the fly.
Conversational Belly Dance runs Tuesdays at 4pm EST for five weeks, from April 25 to May 23, 2023. See this in your time zone. Each class is recorded (instructor view only). Each recording is available during the run of the class.
I hope to see you there!
With all my love,
Conversational Belly Dance
Engage the music with comfort and confidence!
For many of us, our ability to improvise (to have off-the-cuff conversations with the music), is hampered because we can’t remember our dance vocabulary, and our minds are yelling at us the whole time as our palms get sweaty and we wish the ground would just open up and swallow us. Simply drilling words in rote sentences is not the answer—ou est la plume de ma tante, anyone?
To really speak a language, we must engage in conversation! In this FUN Class, we look at individual dance moves as words we compose into improvisational sentences, so we don't have to think--the moves are will just come out when we need them.
What we’ll do each week
* Introduce one or two new moves (aka weekly words), which we will then combine and recombine into short combinations with other basic moves
* Facilitate daily practice to develop this method of re-encountering moves in conjunction with other moves
* Offer accountability for this daily practice
* Provide playlists of suitable practice music
Conversational Belly Dance runs Tuesdays at 4pm EST for five weeks, from April 25 to May 23, 2023 .See this in your time zone (add to calendar button in link). Each class is recorded (instructor view only). Each recording is available during the run of the class.
|Pay in Full $70|
|Pay Weekly $14.50/week for 5 weeks|
|Sliding Scale $10.00/week for 5 weeks|
|Pay What You Will.
Open to All.
BIPOC, LGBTQ+, MENAHT and any marginalized groups are invited use this option
PS Speaking of accountability!
Watch out for our NEW ACE Mastermind series! Our kickoff event is a FREE group Target Practice, as we set our sights on getting some things done and HOW we’re going to do them.
AND! Upcoming Local VT/NH Events
In other news, things are opening up and folks are doing things in person again–including me 0.o. For example,
I have an office!
It’s in St. Johnsbury, VT for in-person SE sessions (yes, I even have an air purifier!). I’ll be talking more about the benefits of SE for artists and dancers in the coming weeks.
I’m teaching a live class!
It’s suitable for all levels, a fun social class for relaxation and enlivening! The class is Thursdays from 6-7pm in St. Johnsbury, VT. We’ll do a a free sample class on April 20th, and start a 6-week session on April 27. More information is here. Please do share the page with anyone you think might be interested.
Coming soon: Live Tuning In sessions.
Probably in Lyndonville, VT. More on that in the next few weeks.
Noteworthy Online Events
Click the links for more information